Grandmother Paula's Red Velvet Cake (Source: www.foodnetwork.com)
Ingredients for Cake:
• 2 cups sugar – I reduce to 1 3/4 cups only
• 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature – 226g
• 2 eggs
• 2 tablespoons cocoa powder – I added 3-4 tbs
• 2 ounces red food coloring – I added only 2.5tbs, don’t want it to appear too bright n striking! I Use Wilton Christmas Red gel coloring.
• 2 1/2 cups cake flour – I don’t have cake flour and used all-purpose flour. To substitute u just have to reduce 5tbs of the all purpose flour. Cake flour basically contains less protein hence will give a softer n moist texture to the cake. If u want to thicken the cake texture then just increase the all purpose flour.
• 1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk – substitute with 1tbs vinegar and pour the milk to fill the cup
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 tablespoon vinegar – after 9 years of marriage I finally have my own vinegar in the kitchen. Not for cooking but special for rv only hihi!
• 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
• 1 stick butter, softened
• 1 cup melted marshmallows
• 1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar
• 1 cup shredded coconut
• 1 cup chopped pecans
However i don't use the above recipe. My usual cream cheese frosting goes like this:
250g cream cheese
1 cup sifted icing sugar-Just put everything in your mixing bowl and blend them all together until creamy.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well.
Sift together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
Blend in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture.
Pour batter into 3 (8-inch) round greased and floured pans.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool completely before frosting
It's my first time baking a cake using buttermilk (though not a pure buttermilk but having the vinegar as substitute) and i am really satisfied with the overall result. A softer cake texture that is still rich in contents n flavour. My RV looks tad bit darker since i added extra cocoa powder and reduce the red coloring. Some people say that their cakes were dry, which i think probably because they overbaked the cake. Or maybe they substitute the cake flour with all purpose flour using the same measurement, which is wrong coz that's gonna thicken ur cake texture due to the high protein content in the all purpose flour.
Fret not, you can try out this recipe step by step and still produce a good rv cake. If yours do not turn out well, perhaps u can share with me ur experience so that we can figure what went wrong with the steps.
Or if u malas nak buat then can just place order from me wakaka. I am more than happy to bake one for u if i am free :)
till then, have a good n pleasant days ahead! Idlan is having BM paper today. Moga dpt jawab dgn cemerlang yer...cuti nanti kite pegi jalan2 ok :)